The UK's only 24-hour mountain marathon, Marmot24™, will return 6-7th August 2016.
Updates for 2016
We have now enjoyed two great Marmot24™ events with very different weathers and terrains, and always with an excellent custom Harvey's Map. For 2016 we are going to ensure more of the same great attributes! We have carefully considered competitors' feedback after the 2015 event and the headline decisions are:
Location - We posed the question whether to head further north - into the Scottish Highlands. Your consensus in reply was that a longer weekend away was more difficult for you to justify in terms of cost and time. Therefore the location for Marmot24™ will remain in Northern England / Southern Scotland as in previous years. We will announce the 2016 location in January 2016.
Format Update - The overriding message was that current competitors love the format. So, our challenge is to be able to communicate this to new competitors. Accordingly, we are going to simplify the format just slightly, and this will help us with our format descriptions. In summary the emphasis will be on:
- UNCHANGED: Up To 24-hours - don't feel you need to be out for the full 24-hours but take the opportunity to...
- UNCHANGED: Wild Camp or Return to Base - If you want the full 24-hour experience, but don't want continuous running, please take the opportunity to wild camp, bivvi or return to base (the Event Centre).
- SLIGHT CHANGE: 12-hour and 24-hour competition - we will keep these but with a slight change to the 12-hour scoring (see below).
- ADDITTION: GPS Tracking - There is general interest in GPS Tracking so we have decided to embrace technology and incorporate this into the event. Please note that GPS Devices to aid Navigation are still not allowed.
Date - We will revert to our 2014 date of the first weekend of August, and intend to stick with this!
Marmot24™ combines the very best elements of the predominantly British mountain marathon phenomenon with the most exciting aspects of the more international, 24-hour rogaining events. The result is a stunning new event format that was launched to widespread acclaim in 2014. With mountain running and navigation at the heart of the event competitors have up to 24-hours to visit as many checkpoints as possible on a score format course. Competitors are able to compete solo, in teams of two, or in four person tag teams.
The Marmot24™ Event Centre is typically right in the heart of the competition area with checkpoints scattered 360° around allowing maximum route choice so that competitors can choose to pass through the event centre during the race, with the solo and two-person teams making the choice whether to rest, or eat, whilst the four-person tag teams can tag-in their team mates; swapping tired runners for fresh runners. The event centre is a hub of activity with a large marquee, race control, catering and camping for competitors and supporters. Supporters are actively encouraged and they can provide help for the competitors (cook meals for example) at the event centre.
Wild Camp or Return to Base?
Teams make a personal choice whether to camp wild or returning to base during the 24-hour period. Return to base has the advantage of allowing a team to access their camping equipment, food and support from friends and family at the Event Centre, but they may have to run additional distance without scoring to return to the Event Centre and head back out again. Alternatively, teams may 'bivvi' in their survival bag for a few hours or take some extra kit and wild camp. Ultimately, this is each teams' choice and this is one of the great things about Marmot24™. Our winning 24-hour competitors will continue non-stop for the entire duration of the event!
Competitors wishing to take part in the 12-hour competition must have finished within 12 hours. There are no time penalties for being late back... you are just automatically entered into the 24-hour competition after 12 hours and 1 second!
Any competitor who has not finished after 12 hours is automatically entered into the 'up to 24-hour race'. In the 24-hour competition, teams have up to 24-hours to score points. The 24-hour race must be finished by 12 noon on Sunday and teams that are late finishing will receive time penalties.
For the 2016 Marmot Dark Mountains™ event we will be introducing live GPS tracking. We are doing this to add significantly to the event safety and to engage with the friends and family of competitors. It will be exciting viewing! Each pair will be required to carry a GPS tracker.
2016 Entry Process
The cost of entering Marmot24™ has increased slightly and is now between £55-£65 per person depending on when you enter. We believe that this is great value for money and it is possible to enter in the following combination:
Four Person Tag-Team
The four person tag-teams usually compete in pairs (one pair rests, whilst one pair scores) but they can score as a three or four person team if they wish. The four person tag-teams must never send out a solo competitor.
Two Person Team
Pairs must stay together at all times.
Only our most experienced competitors with proven experience.
Included in your entry is the following:
- Participation in the UK’s (the world's!) only 24-hour mountain marathon!
- A well planned and professionally organised race by Ourea Events
- SPORTident race timing for course split times and official results (including loan of dibbers)
- Open Tracking providing live GPS tracking of competitors
- Bespoke, accurate and waterproof pre-marked maps for each team member
- Solo*, Two or Four person tag-team options
- Emergency medical cover during the race
- Mountain safety team cover during the race
- A finishers' meal for all team members
- Free car parking and camping at the Event Centre for teams and their supporters on Friday and Saturday night
Entries close Sunday 31st July or when full. It is not possible to enter on the day.
So, what are you waiting for!? Entries are open now! Please enter earlier to avoid missing out and to get the best price.
- + Nov (1)
- + Aug (3)
- + Jul (3)
- + Jun (1)
- + Apr (1)
- + Jan (1)
- - 2015 (5)
- + Nov (3)
- + Aug (3)
- + Jul (7)
- + Jun (4)
- + Apr (2)
- + 2013 (3)
- + 2012 (1)